1826 North 77 Sunshine Strip
The state requires, by law, any teenager between the ages of 15-17 years old to take a specific amount of hours when taking a driver education course. It’s broken up into two phases. Phase one is the classroom and phase two is the driving.
- 32 hours of classroom, 2 hours a day for 16 class meetings.
- 7 hours of behind the wheel training with one of our professionally trained and patient instructors.
- 7 hours of sitting in the back seat and observing another student getting driving instructions.
The driving phase is done concurrent with the classroom phase but at different times.
The driving phase usually begins after the first week of class in which the student has passed both a traffic laws and traffic signs test to obtain a learners permit at the D.P.S. The permit allows a student to drive with any adult 21 years of age or older with a valid driver’s license in the front seat.
The student usually completes the driving phase around a week to two weeks after completing the classroom phase.
During both phases of the course the instructor will introduce the student driver to the basic fundamentals to driving a car safely.
This includes mostly the classroom phase first then gradually the driving phase where the instructors will also teach the fundamentals and advance procedures and techniques of how to be a better driver and how to be a defensive driver.
During the course the students will participate in class discussions, daily work, projects, guest speakers, testing, watching videos, and hands on under the hood check and tire change procedure on a car.
Upon completing the entire course the student will receive two certificates… one for a 10 percent insurance discount that’s valid till the age of 21 and another certificate to upgrade their permit to a driver’s license.
This happens if the student driver has completed the 6 months probation period on their permit and they are at least 16 years of age.
Documents Required or What do I need to Bring?
- Verification of enrollment form (VOE) from high school
- Birth Certificate . Original document or certified copy
- Social Security Card Original document or certified copy
- DE-964 Certificate from Benavides Driving School
- Parent must be a legal resident of the USA and must show a TX ID or TX DL
- $16.00 for DPS for driving permit
- The DPS application and supplement. Benavides Driving School will provide.
- School ID or school transcript. Your school will provide.
- 2 Utility bills under parent’s name.
Forms You’ll Need
As a 30-year educator, I had the opportunity to recommend over 200 students to Benavides Driving school during my career. The school has a long history of excellence and integrity. As a parent, I had no doubt that my 2 kids were in for an awesome experience. Both are in college now, and are both excellent drivers. I am very grateful to the staff. In my opinion as an educator and a parent, Benavides Driving School has set the standard by which all driving schools should be evaluated…they are still the best around.
-Frank M. Trevino, M.Ed. Retired School Counselor and Parent
- 15 Hour DOEP Drug Class - Wednesday, Feb 26, 2020 - Sunday, Mar 1, 2020 - 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Defensive Driving Class - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 - 8:30 am - 2:30 pm
- 6 Hour Adult Class - Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- 6 Hour Adult Class - Saturday, Mar 7, 2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- ROP Repeat Offender Program - Monday, Mar 9, 2020 - Monday, May 25, 2020 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Teen Driver Education Course - Monday, Mar 9, 2020 - Thursday, Apr 2, 2020 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- 6 Hour Adult Class - Saturday, Mar 14, 2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Defensive Driving Class - Saturday, Mar 21, 2020 - 8:30 am - 2:30 pm
- 6 Hour Adult Class - Saturday, Mar 21, 2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Teen Driver Education Course ***WEEKENDS ONLY*** - Saturday, Mar 21, 2020 - Saturday, May 9, 2020 - 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 6 Hour Adult Class - Saturday, Mar 28, 2020 - 9:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Teen Driver Education Course - Monday, Apr 6, 2020 - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Teen Driver Education Course - Monday, May 4, 2020 - Thursday, May 28, 2020 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm